Coalition of Babe Ruth Athletes
9U - 15U Division Rules
Spring 2019 (Rev 2/23/19)
A. Players must be in the batting lineup to play defense. Teams may bat the entire lineup and use free defensive substitution throughout the game.
B. Teams may use up to 9 players on defense, but may play with as few as 8. If only 8 players are used, the 9th batting position will be an OUT.
C. If a team starts with 9 or more (because they are hitting entire lineup) batters and drops below 9 batters, the missing batter will be counted as an out. For example, if a team hits all 12 of their players in the lineup and one player leaves, there’s no penalty. If a team bats 11 (everyone) and three players leave, the 3rd to leave will count as an out.
D. Pitching limits
1. 9U-12U is 40 pitches, finish the inning
2. 13U-15U is 50 pitches, finish the inning
3. ALL divisions –one re-entry is allowed for pitchers
1. 9U-12U - USABat stamped bats and properly-sized wooden bats may be used, per official Babe Ruth rulebook
2. 13U-15U – USABat stamped bats, bbcor bats, and properly-sized wooden bats may be used, per official Babe Ruth rulebook
F. Time Limit is 1:30 minutes, no new inning for ALL divisions.
G. Per inning run limit is no more than 4 runs per inning for ALL divisions.
1. 9U-12U - There will be one umpire per game during Sunday Play. All or part of the tournament may use 2 umpires. Pay is $40/umpire.
2. 13U-15U – May use a single umpire for Sunday Play, but will normally use 2 for Sunday Play and 2 or 3 for the Tournament. Pay is $45/umpire.
I. Any rule violation must be corrected immediately and escalated to the appropriate division coordinator for review and possible sanctions. Any resistance to correcting violations may be seen as violation, for example: defensive obstruction, offensive interference, or un-sportsman-like conduct; as appropriate, and penalties applied as seen fit by the game’s officials.
J. Home team keeps the official book.
K. Mercy rule is 12/3, 10/4, 8/5 for ALL divisions.
1. 12 after 3 innings (2 ½ if home team leads)
2. 10 after 4 innings (3 ½ if home team leads)
3. 8 after 5 innings (4 ½ if home team leads)
L. Courtesy runner (someone not in the game or, if all players hitting, last batter due to hit) is encouraged for catchers but is mandatory with 2 outs or 3 runs scored. Incoming pitchers or catchers may be run for instead, if opposing coach and UIC informed before the beginning of the team’s at-bat. Any player eligible to be courtesy run for may NOT be a courtesy runner.
M. The infield Fly Rule IS in effect.
N. TOURNAMENT RULES
1. Seeding is based on a blind draw
2. After the initial play-in games, 2 brackets will be formed
3. Winners of the play-in game will play in one single elimination bracket
4. Losers of the play-in game will play in a different single elimination bracket
5. Time limits remain in effect
6. Time limits may be extended or eliminated at some point during the tournament, with advanced notice to all teams.
7. Run rules always remain in effect
8. Pitching – Item D remains in effect unless it is decided and announced BR Pitching Limits will be used during the tournament.
9. If there is a tie after the required number of innings or time has expired, use the following to help determine a winner:
a. Batters start with 1-1 count
b. Last player due to bat will start at 2nd base
c. Play continues until a team leads at the end of an inning